First let me begin by sharing with you that #1 I am new to the hair obsessed club and still learning from my "Hair Heroes" and #2 I am a working mom (who by the way is NOT a morning person!!!) I am finding that practice makes perfect better. Meanwhile my girls and I are enjoying our time together and we invite you to join us on our journey. Sometimes we do fancy and sometimes we flop but for us it's the process.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

And So It Begins. . .

Only about a month ago I was searching for a hairstyle for my oldest daughter. We were headed to the salon the next day to have her hair trimmed. I accidentally stumbled on The Story of a Princess and her Hair as well as another site or two. I thought - wow - incredible, wouldn't that be cool but seriously these moms have TOO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS!

Ok, so a week goes by and I lurk and view more of that blog. . .and find more such as
Babes in Hairland and Adopt a 'Do. The next thing I know, I'm trying out a hairstyle or two - even making my own variation. Of course I start this on a Saturday, when I have plenty of time and don't have to wake up early. . .


Another two weeks go by and I'm thinking about what I need to accomplish these hairstyles, products, tools, decorations . . . elastics being my favorite new purchase, because without those I never could have successful accomplished: Of course if I spend time on Little Bird's hair, Princess wants hers done too. . . I also have to explain that Little Bird decided at the LAST minute to join the play and I had to make a quick run to JoAnn Fabrics to get stuff to make her costume. While I was there I decided to pick up a little ribbon to make some hair bows. . . well perhaps that's a story for another post.




Now I am having fun. It doesn't always take that much time. I'm learning I can recycle many hairstyles, get a couple of days out of them. . . the girls are getting perhaps the tiniest bit addicted to getting compliments on the hair. . .


I LOVED it! The Princess LOVED it! I've got to try this one again!!!! We got more attention for this one than ever - lots of high school girls. Ok, so now I'm hooked. Oh, I got the idea from It's A Girl Thing. She's got great step by steps.



As I'm finding more and more hair blogs I see more sites that have different hair. My Princess doesn't have really thick hair, although on further concideration, it's not really that bad. . . I find I can do some things on the weekend - including mini braids and curlers. . .






So this is actually a school morning and a day #2 style. I did the mini braids and hair headband Sunday night and put her hair in curlers then a poof (what DO you call that thing??) with her hair down in ringlets. It was inspired by (ok really copied from) "Tween Hairstyle, Princess Braids" from "The Story of a Princess and her Hair" website. It was lovely, we went on a field trip to the theatre that day. So this day two was just a smooth down of the headband, another poof with a side pony and curling with the flat iron. Thank you to Adopt a 'Do's how to curl with a flat iron video which you can see here.





I was so delighted that I was able to get a day #3. But I didn't take any pictures of day #4. If I remember right, it was a very messy version of the above!




Now for my real pièce de résistance - I found a terrific idea on Girly Do's By Jenn that I absolutely loved!


The top is the night before doing a dry run. I made 3 ponies like in Jenn's site. Little Bird's hair is too short for that so when I washed I sectioned her hair into 4 ponies. Next was my attempt to show in pictures what I did - the sectioning and curlers.

Gotta work on that.

I had Little Bird wear her hair in simple buns for school all day so as not to lose the curl.

Then I used probably 40 bobbie pins to get the look I wanted - my ribbon was probably a yard and a half long. I also added 10 flowers that I had hot glued to bobby pins. She looked very fairy-like!


And so as I learn more. . . I will post more. Meanwhile I need to organize my google bookmarks; my "hairstyles" folder is getting quite unruly! I'm looking forward to learning so much as I join all my new heros of the hairstyles. . .


Until tomorrow, Goodnight!










2 comments:

Becky @ Babes in Hairland said...

Thanks so much for the shout out! I love that you've been doing so much on your dd's hair since you found all the hair blogs! After you get started, it's hard to stop, huh!? :) The time you spend w/your dd's is the extra bonus I think! Good luck & keep up the good work. You've got talent girl! :)

Princess Hairstyles said...

Ha! Welcome to the hair obsessed club!! I agree with "the mom." Once you start, there is no going back. Super cute daughters, by the way. :)